Last Updated: Wednesday, 31 May 2023, 15:44 GMT

UNESCO chief condemns murder of Pakistani journalist

Publisher UN News Service
Publication Date 28 February 2011
Cite as UN News Service, UNESCO chief condemns murder of Pakistani journalist, 28 February 2011, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/4d7089f62.html [accessed 5 June 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

The head of the United Nations agency tasked with protecting the freedom of expression today condemned the killing of a Pakistani journalist, Abdost Rind, in the south-western province of Balochistan, and voiced concern over the safety of media professionals in the country.

"The killing of Abdos Rind raises further concern over the ability of media workers in Pakistan to exercise the fundamental human right of freedom of expression," said the Director-General of the UN Scientific, Educational and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Irina Bokova, in a statement.

Mr. Rind, who had been working for an Urdu language newspaper, the Daily Eagle, is reported to have been shot repeatedly by unidentified assailants on 18 February while on his way home from work. He is the second media worker killed in Balochistan this year, according to the International Federation of Journalists.

The press freedom advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders, has said that 11 journalists were killed in Pakistan last year, making it the most dangerous place in the world for the profession.

Search Refworld

Countries